He studied at the Bordeaux Ecole des Beaux Arts and continued at the Ecole des Artes Decoratifs in Paris. He presented his work for the first time in 1920 at the Salon d’Automne, to which he was immediately elected a member. He won a Blumenthal scholarship in 1924 and the Carnegie Prize in 1939. He played an important role in the founding of the Salon des Tuileries and participated in important international organizations.
He painted large wall paintings on public buildings and was further occupied with stage design. He also designed tapestries and vitrines.
In 1939 he became a professor at the Ecole des Artes Decoratifs and in 1949 at the Paris Ecole des Beaux Arts.
His work bore a kinship to that of Bonnard though Brianchon’s color was less intense, containing countless tonal gradations. Without being influenced by the new aesthetic movements of his era, he became part of the realistic tradition of French painting and belonged to the School of Paris.
He painted the banks of the Seine, the circus and the interiors of various ateliers.