He gave up his studies at the University School of Ecomomic and Commercial Science (1950-1952) and enrolled at the Athens School of Fine Arts under professors Yannis Moralis and Spyros Papaloukas (1952-1958). From 1959 to 1961 he was head of the artistic division of the Greek Organization of Handicrafts. In 1961 he participated in the founding of Art Group A, and was in the forefront of its activities until its disbanding in 1967. In 1972 he received a grant from the Ford Foundation. In 1974 he became a member of the Group for Communication and Education in Art. In 1976 he was elected full professor at the Athens School of Fine Arts to the Chair of Painting, where he taught until 1997, while from 1980 to 1982 he was rector of the School. He has presented his works in solo and group exhibitions, and has also published studies concerned with theoretical questions in art. In 1990 the Macedonian Center of Contemporary Art organized a retrospective exhibition of his work.
Color values, an elliptic morphoplastic vocabulary and fragmentariness are the distinguishing features of his painting, which has a good deal in common with abstract expressionism.