He originally studied at the Athens School of Fine Arts (1900-1904) under Nikephoros Lytras and Georgios Roilos and then, on an Averoff scholarship, continued his studies at the Munich Academy (1907-1911) under professors Otto Seitz, Ludwig von Lofftz and Karl von Marr. He stayed in the Bavarian capital until 1929, in the meantime making a grand educational tour of the various countries of Europe as well as Constantinople (Istanbul), Jerusalem, Egypt, Mt. Athos and Athens, primarily studying the tradition of icon painting.
In 1929 he was elected professor at the Athens School of Fine Arts, remaining in that position until 1953. During the Greek-Italian war he was sent on a government commission to the front and did representations of many of the battles. For this work he received in 1952 the National Medal in Letters and Arts of the Athens Academy, of which he became a member in 1959.
During his residence in Munich he took part in many exhibitions at the Glaspalast, as well as in group exhibitions in various cities throughout Europe, and in 1925 organized his first solo show at the Parnassos Hall in Athens. He also exhibited his work at the Venice Biennales of 1934 and 1936 as well as in group shows and Panhellenies.
In his painting he was originally occupied with mythological and symbolic motifs while later he turned to scenes from everyday life, landscapes, portraits and nudes in interior spaces. His earlier work reveals a naturalistic style but he later adopted the plein air perceptions of his era, while in his nudes there is to be found a taste for a sensuous and pleasant rendition.