He studied painting at the Athens School of Arts where he enrolled in 1859. From 1865 to 1868 he continued his studies at the Munich Academy under Karl von Piloty and later in Paris, under Jean-Leon Gerome.
Remaining abroad until 1876, he worked in Paris, Marseilles and Vienna, where he gained distinction as a portrait painter. He continued to work systematically at portraiture after his return to Greece, and indeed is one of the most important representatives of that art form in the 19th century, rendering those being depicted with a realistic, and at the same time, psychologically revealing style. His subject matter included historical, mythological, Biblical and allegorical motifs, as well as copies of the works of foreign masters, mainly Rubens, Rembrandt and A. Van Dyck, while for the Greek Orthodox Church in Liverpool he made an icon of Christ.
His exhibitions include, among others, participation in the Paris Salon in 1869, the Olympia Exhibition of 1870, where he received the silver medal first class, as well as that of 1888, and the International Exhibition of Crete; he also exhibited at the Melas House (1881), the Parnassos Hall (1885) and the Society of Art Devotees (1900-1901), while at the same time displaying his works in the windows of Athenian stores.