Son of a captain in the merchant marine, he worked for a period at the Royal Printing-House and Lithographic Studio of Athens and in 1839 went to Paris, where he first devoted himself to the art of lithography and then studied painting. From the time he spent in Paris, and specifically 1841, we have his first dated works. After returning to Greece, he taught at the high school in Ermoupoli, Syros (1851). In regard to exhibitions, it is known that he participated in the Olympia Exhibitions of 1859 and 1875.
He painted mainly portraits which for the most part depict members of the aristocratic families of the islands done in official poses and with an emphasis on the detailed rendering of the supplementary – decorative elements. He was also involved with iconography and made icons for Ayia Eirini on Poros.